Monday, October 25, 2010

Happy Halloween!

For Halloween this year, I thought I'd make something for my kitchen table to complement the chach-ka that I have decorating (you know, pumpkin candles, ghost candles, etc.) and thought it'd be cool to have a spiderweb-like doily for everything to sit on.

I found this cool pattern on Ravelry: Spider Web Doily I don't usually crochet much with cotton thread, so I did use Simply Soft...besides, I wanted it to be big enough for my chach-ka (which I know I'm misspelling!) Here's the finished product:


I'm pretty pleased with it. It's about the size of a luncheon plate.

So then I got started thinking about my kids' costumes. Although none of them want to be a pirate this year, they all seem to have fun pretending to be pirates. I decided to make one for kicks! Except I couldn't find a pattern that was exactly what I was envisioning in my head, therefore I'm making my own pattern up for it. :) Here's a little sneak peek of it so far:

He'll be larger than a typical amigurumi, although he's made with the same in-the-round technique. Obviously, this is just his head. He'll have a full body, hat, hair and a jacket. I'm having fun dreaming him up!

Stay tuned...once he's done, I'll post pictures. The pattern will likely be a for-sale one vs. a free one. There's been a fair amount of work that's gone into fine tuning his shaping so far!

No comments: