Recently, I made this kitty from Crochet Today!:
She also is supposed to have clothes...one outfit is published with the pattern for the cat, with additional outfits promised in future issues. I didn't swatch...and my first attempt as this cat turned out really squat. Additionally, I had a little difficulty getting the clothes to fit properly. But I persevered and managed to get her dressed.
Now I'm starting work on that darling baby set I posted about previously, and am swatching. My gauge is off, so it just goes to show that it does pay to swatch before starting a project....it'll save me a lot of headache later!